Women’s Health Physiotherapy
Women’s health physiotherapy covers areas relating to pregnancy (obstetrics) and gynaecology. 1 in 3 Australian women experience pelvic floor dysfunction. Optimal function of the bladder, bowel, pelvis and lower back, in women of all ages, is dependent on healthy and strong pelvic floor muscles. A women’s health physiotherapist is trained in the assessment and treatment of the pelvic floor muscles and will develop an individualised treatment plan for each patient.
Common problems for which you may want to book an appointment are:
- Stress Incontinence (a loss of urine with cough, sneeze, jump etc)
- Urgency (feeling like you have to rush to go to the toilet)
- Pelvic floor weakness
- Pelvic floor pain
We also provide treatment options for:
- Pregnancy and postpartum concerns, including:
– Pregnancy related pelvic pain (sacroiliac or pubic symphysis pain)
– Carpal tunnel syndrome (pain, pins and needles or numbness in the hands)
- Rectus diastasis (separation of abdominal muscles)
- Bladder and bowel concerns – incontinence, overactive bladder, constipation
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Sexual dysfunction
What to expect from a women’s health physiotherapy appointment:
The first appointment will begin with documenting an extensive history of the patient and determining what the problem is and what your goals are. Once this discussion is concluded, a physical examination will usually take place. This can include pelvic examination (internal and external) and will examine the tone and activation of the pelvic floor muscles and assess for pelvic organ prolapse. Based on the findings, your physiotherapist will explain the process and discuss what treatment should focus on as well as discussing your expectations to work towards your goals.
This service is provided in quiet, private, fully enclosed rooms with the utmost respect for confidentiality and the sensitive nature of these problems.
Physiotherapist – Kate Quinn
Initial Womens Health Consultation (1-1.5hrs) $120
Standard Womens Health Consultation (45mins – 1 hr) $100